Yeah, for the first time ever on a big trip, Louisa and I forgot to bring our camera.
We had a great time away from the big city however. Estes Park and Rocky Mountain N.P. are definitely great vacation spots and great wildlife viewing spots. On this trip we saw a bull mouse, a few herds of elk, a bear cub running through the field, and a few hummingbirds.
Here are our favorite hikes and attractions from Rocky Mountain National Park on this trip:
- Old Fall River Road – Scenic drive that approaches the Alpine Visitor Center from the valley instead of via Trail Ridge Road.
- Trail Ridge Road – The premier scenic drive in the park.
- Colorado River Trailhead – Gateway to many cool hikes through the forest. Be sure to bring your bug repellent.
- Bierstadt Lake and Bear Lake – Hiked about 4.1 miles to check out both of these lakes at once. For a bigger challenge (and about 1200 ft. of elevation gain), start the hike from the Park and Ride.
We also had a few favorite restaurants in Estes Park and Grand Lake:
- Bighorn Restaurant, Estes Park, CO – Great breakfasts, we tried their country fried steak, blueberry waffles, and ham and (double) cheese omelet.
- Poppy’s Pizza and Grill, Estes Park, CO – Good pizzas with a variety of sauces. We had an Italian sausage, mushroom, and garlic pizza with salad bar.
- Sagebrush BBQ, Grand Lake, CO – Pretty wide selection of grilled and BBQ. Their great onion rings were our favorite part of the meal with decent brisket (a little on the fatty side, but very tasty) and pork. We also tried Rocky Mountain Oysters.